COVID19 Crystals

I jest.

But I am trying to find things to keep our younger kids invested in learning. We’ve come up with a schedule to try to keep to, with family walk time, quiet time, chore time, school assigned learning, and such. We also put an hour space for creativity. This is the time I am hoping I can attempt a few of the hundreds of things I’ve pinned.

So today we made crystals, or rather we started making crystals.

I figured we have lots of time to experiment, so why not?

Supplies needed are listed in each link, with more instructions. But...the main things you’ll need are:
Clear jars or glasses, boiling water, pipe cleaners, string or yarn, and skewers or popsicle sticks, clothes pins, sugar, table salt, epsom salt, borax, and alum.



We made Borax Crystals


Epsom Salt Crystals


Alum and Table Salt Crystals 


And Sugar Crystals, also known as Rock Candy


I’ll update this post as we have more crystals forming. But most of these can be made with items you might have around the house. Please don’t feel you need to do all of the above. Just choose one. My kids got a little bored half way through. But I was too far in to turn back. 😉


Comments

  1. That looks like a lot of fun! I loved crystals as a kid!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment