April Fools 2012


If you have perused my blog at all, then you know that I LOVE April Fool's Day. I love silly harmless pranks, and especially food trickery. 

We do a have a rule, no mean tricks. Just fun. Because of my no mean tricks, I don't make food that my kids will hate. It might look like they'll hate it, but we have enough trouble with pickiness, I do not want to make them more scared to try to new foods. 

This April Fools I had to travel out of state to attend my sister's baby shower, so I had to do a lot of prep work before the holiday. I was coming back the day of, but knew I would only be home in enough time to make dinner. Because of the time crunch, things did not turn out as well as I had hoped. But the kids still had fun. 



I started with fake fruit cans. I found the idea at ComeTogetherKids.com. She has great instructions there, I'll just show my pics here, you can get the step by step there. 



What is this tom-foolery?
Okay, this is better than fruit!

And Miss B. enjoying the candy from her can after dinner


She also had this cute idea of carrots in a candy box, so I had to do that one too. I made these ahead in the hope that the hubs would give them to the kids for some foolery before I got home, but he said he wanted to wait until I was home. But it did mean that I got some photos of their reactions. :)

Because mine were made ahead and hiding in my closet, I didn't figure baby carrots would handle well. I filled mine with goldfish crackers instead. Keep the eggs for an easter egg hunt, if its not too late. Or just keep in that secret mom stash, chocolate therapy.




For our mock dinner I served lasagna and bundt cake, or did I?

We have done this for enough years that my kids know that if it looks like dessert then it is the main course, and if it looks like the main course, it is probably dessert. They are usually just a little hesitant to try, at least now. That first year, it was like pulling teeth to get them to try it. But that did make the trick a little more fun. Ha ha!

The lasagna was actually a lasagna banana pudding cake. I found it at The Food Network. While this tasted fabulous, it did not turn out looking very much like lasagna. I was unable to get a good red color. But it really did taste great. 





The bundt cake was more of a pizza biscuit bake. I found it at Taste of Home. It looked better than the dessert lasagna, but I wish the melted cheese would have looked more melty-drizzly, like a glaze. 



The kids made the drink. As much as they love being tricked, they also love getting to play tricks on dad too. This looks like some green koolaid, but its actually applejuice colored green. The kids added the food coloring, and they have overdone it a bit. :)



This is the usual reaction to all our jokes and pranks. 


Smiles and Laughter. 


Worth every effort made. 

And be sure to check out my many other years of April Foolery

Comments