The Letter V


We learned a lot about Letter Vv

We started with some vegetable painting. I let the kids do prints from cut vegetables, and also made poptato stamp V's. They used celery and broccoli brushes and tried out carrots, baby carrots, bell peppers, cucumbers, and potatoes.








I made more index cards with the letters we have learned this year, and when the kids saw a V or v they were hold up two fingers in a letter V shape. (idea found here)



 We also made lovely violets in vases. I made a basic violet shape on violet colored paper, I found a cute vase online and let the kids color those, cut out the violets and had them also cut out some green stems, and then glue on some yellow pom-poms. I love crafts that are easy, but the kids can also make their own. You can see from their projects how they each made it their own. Some used small pom-poms, some large, some made one violet, and some made many.






We also played a letter V guessing game (found at Child Fun). The kids usually catch on by the second one, and are so proud when they can supply the V word.

V Guessing Game   Play a word guessing game. All the words you guess should begin like "valentine."
a. I like ice cream. My favorite flavor is ________. (vanilla)
b. When we moved, our furniture went in a moving ________. (van)
c. Pumpkins grow on a _________. (vine)
d. Peas, carrots and corn are __________. (vegetables)
e. When mother cleans the rug she uses a _________. (vacuum cleaner)                              



For our snack of course we had vegetables! (and leftover penguin crackers from P week)


Our second letter V day we had Vanilla Wafers, Vanilla yogurt, Vanilla pudding, and vanilla cookies. I had the kids show me the letter V on each package.





We played a fun Vegetable Soup Game. We found it at Preschool Express. Jean Warren has many wonderful ideas there for letters, and themes. She is a great preschool resource.


Our V movements were: playing the violin, vacuuming, putting on a vest, being an erupting volcano, driving a van, picking vegetables, playing volleyball, and going on a vacation. 


We also sang some fun V songs

I Love To Make The Letter V
(Tune: Pop! Goes The Weasel)
I love to make the letter V
For everyone to see.
(Form V with 2 fingers)
V is for vinegar, V is for van,
And V is for victory!
Repeat substituting other words that begin with V for the words "vinegar" and "van."            

and 

I'm A Great Big Vulture  I'm A Little Teapot   
I'm a great big vulture in the sky,
Flying in a circle, oh, so high.
I just love to soar around and around.
Then down I swoop right to the ground.

Comments