The Letter M



We started by having letter M items in our Mailbox. I bought this Blue's Clues mailbox off ebay years ago when my older two were little. He is a little hammered now, but it was fun for the kids to find M Mail. Inside we had a mirros, muffins, milk jug and a few more. I try to have at least one letter object for each student.























This is one of my favorite felt games that I have reused many many times for preschool and beyond. I should admit, I have sometimes arranged our preschool schedule so that I can teach letter M. :) I cut out matching felt mittens out of every color and pattern of felt that I had. Then you toss in a basket and tie a rope/yarn/string between two chairs and add clothes pins to the basket, and let the kids find matching mittens and hang them on the line. My own kids and preschool kids can do this for quite a long time. Matching is a great math skill to work on, and the clothespins helps with fine motor skills. Later we did this song game: (found at Perpetual Preschool)
Mitten Match   Give each child one mitten, (real ones or made out of construction paper) and hold up one mate as you sing or chant this song:                                                                                                             Who's got a mitten like this one? 
Who's got a mitten like me?
Hold it up, let me see, who my partner will be!





I always love reading The Mitten by Jan Brett. It is a fun cute story that all kids love. After we acted it out. I had the children be various animals and had them climb under an off white fuzzy blanket. When we get to the part about the bear sneezing, I make the sneeze noise and have the blanket fly up to expose them all. They love it and we tend to act it out over and over and over. To go along with this we also made lace up mittens with construction paper and filled them with animal cookies. It was a hit.  


We made Muddy M's. I just used brown paint and manila colored Ms. The kids loved it.




Other fun songs for M that we used are:
She'll Be Coming Around the Mountain
Alligators and Monkeys
Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
The Bear went over the Mountain
Three Blind Mice
The Ants Go Marching


For a fun winter sensory experience we painted giant mittens while wearing mittens. We had a handful of mismatched mittens, but used washable paint anyhow. It was a lot of fun, but the kids did saturate the paper, so they ripped a little. I found this adorable idea here ((Perpetual Preschool)





We also made Moose Headbands as you can see in one of the photos above. Trace the child's hands onto brown paper and attach to a brown strip of paper and size to child's head.



We made this darling art idea that we found at Everything Preschool. I'm so sad that I didn't get any photos, because they were just so cute!

Me in a Coat and Mittens   What You Need: Paper Plate, Cotton, yarn, paper, Markers/Crayons. What You Do: Have your children draw and color their face on a paper plate. Next cut two edges off a piece of paper to form a coat (have your children add buttons, pockets, etc) Next, glue the coat to the plate and put cotton around the edge of the plate to look like a hood. Finally, add mittens attached by yarn.


Comments