Letter E

The Letter E



(Just a side note, I focused on each letter taught for two days. Uppercase the first day, and lowercase the second day, so that is why there is sometimes lots of activities for each letter. Feel free to pick and choose according to your child's attention span.)

As our beginning filler activity we had an egg match. I just used some of my scrapbook paper and cut some eggs, and then I cut them in half with different edges. I did not use decorative edged scissors, because I think those are more difficult for three year olds to match. I just cut some wavy, jagged, bumpy, zig zag, etc. 
 


To introduce our letter of the week I made E eggs.
I found the idea at Preschool Express. Basically find small items that start with E and place them into Easter eggs. I let the children take turns choosing an egg. They got to open it, tell us what it was, and what letter it started with. If you cannot find many e objects, just print or draw pictures.

For a tactile E we glued well washed egg shells onto a construction paper E. 


We also made E's out of popsicle sticks and glued them onto construction paper.

We made E pictures to put in envelopes. I printed an upper and lower case E on paper, and then printed the picture strip from First School. I let the kids cut and color them, and then we placed them in an envelope. I told them they could mail them to a grandparent or friend. 




We made Elmo! 
I found an online coloring page of Elmo and printed and cut it out. Then traced it onto red paper. I then cut out the eyes, pupils, noses, and mouths in their colors. I let the kids glue them together how they wanted with a picture for reference if that wanted. And then had them tear red paper to make Elmo look furry. Tearing paper is great for small motor skills. Some kids made their Elmos very furry, some less furry. But they turned out adorable! 
 

 I found some cute E songs at Preschool Education
This has been my preschoolers favorite for years!

An elephant went out to play
On a spider web one day
He (she) was having so much fun
He (she) invited another one 
Come on (name)

For movement we had an egg toss. We placed an empty (another E word!) egg carton on the floor and had the kids toss the empty easter eggs into it. 

We also had E exercises. I wrote different exercises on slips of paper, such as run across the room, or 5 jumping jacks, nothing too complicated or tricky (jumping jacks are tricky for kids, but so entertaining to watch them try to figure it out!), and let them take turns choosing and then they all did the exercises. (I cannot find where I got this idea from)

Comments