Letter C

The Letter C




It is great to have a filler activity while you are waiting for all your students to arrive. Our filler activity for C was "cookie cutter match". 
I traced cookie cutters onto blank file folders. Trace with a bold line marker. I had one for each child, and each folder had 6-8 cookies traced on it. Then I placed all cookie cutters in the middle of the table and they had to find their matches. If they finish quickly, have them trade and match again. 



To introduce our letter of the week and its sound I made a "C box". We used a shoe box, but you could use a bag, box, bowl, whatever works. I had my boys help me find things that started with that letter, little toys or household items: cat, car, camera, can, card, candle, corn, carrot, comb, cookies, cotton, etc. I let each child have a turn to choose one item, tell the class what it is, and then we emphasize the sound, "cuh, cuh car", etc. Sometimes you need to specify that this is just for the game, that they don't get to take the toys home. ha ha!


For art we painted with cream, shaving cream. 
I got a cheap bottle (about .50-.75 at walmart, etc) and sprayed a small pile in front of each child, and let them have at it.  I asked them to draw Cs in the cream. They loved it. I think they could have played in cream for the whole two hours had I let them. My table was very clean after. After they made a few Cs, they were free to make whatever cream art they wanted. 




We also made Chocolate Chip Cookie C's.
 I cut letter Cs out of manila construction paper, and made a cookie look to it with bumps. Then I gave them hole punch holes in chocolate brown. They got to glue the chips onto their cookie C's. Some glued a lot of chips, some hardly any. This was a great activity for small motor skills.


We also did "cloud art". (Idea found at EverythingPreschool). We talked about how you can see fun shapes and objects in clouds.  Then I squirted white paint into a folded paper, and squished it. Then we opened it to see what it was inside, and named what it was. I wrote it on the papers for the parents to see their child's imagination at work. 

We did a little cleaning too. Don't you just love when kids are at the age that they love to clean? I used some of our extra brown hole punches and let them vacuum with a smaller vacuum we have. They each needed a turn, so I needed a lot of things for them to vacuum. 



We did a little white glove test too.


I made a letter C file folder game with C cookies. 



To play as a group I printed onto card stock and cut out. The "cookies" were placed in a toy cookie jar, and I let the children take turns removing one cookie and finding its match on the folder. I focused only on the hard C sound for my game. These are my hand drawn pictures, so some of them aren't very pretty. Please feel free to print them and use for yourself. I also found a cookie jar outline online and enlarged to a full page. I printed two of each cookie and made it a matching game, gluing one of each cookie onto the cookie jars. 



I love the printables at First-School. They have them for letters, numbers, themes, etc. They have coloring pages, booklets, worksheets, etc. I used the C items for their letter C page, and printed an outline of an upper and lower case C. I had the kids cut out the 5 items (pretty easy, straight lines) and glue them onto their Cs.







  And then we just did some simple cutting fun. Kids from 3-5 are usually thrilled that they finally get to use scissors. Give them some papers and let them cut away. You can have them glue all their scraps on a large letter C after, or just let them cut things into smithereens. I do try to stress how scissors are only for paper, and to always check with mom or dad before cutting anything. 


For snacks we had:
cookies, carrots, cucumbers

and 
crackers, Cap'n Crunch (Peanut Butter, always check for allergies) and carrots



For our letter C movements we had our large letter C on the floor in painters tape. 
On our C we moved like cars, cats, pretended to pick and eat carrots, crawled, copied, and so on. 


For music we sang C is for Cookie by Cookie Monster and also did the chant, "Who Stole the Cookies from the Cookie Jar."

Comments