Harry Potter Party (Part 4)


Golden Snitch Cake
This was one of the easiest cakes I have done. Miss B. really wanted a golden snitch birthday cake, "but not as fancy as Mrs. Weasley's" she said. Good thing, because this momma doesn't do fancy cakes! I bought the soccer ball cake pan from Wilton. The soccer ball lines are barely visible after baking. I took a few tips from my sister the former cake decorator, and froze the two halves before frosting. I also made a very dense cake, as she said this cake can be a bugger to frost and such.

You can see the two sides did not meet up super well. I did try to even it out some with a knife, but the empty spaces just makes for more frosting in the middle!
I was super crunched for time, so I actually used store bought frosting (gasp!).I bought it in yellow, and for the family party sprinkled yellow sugar crystals on it.

It did not have quite the look we wanted, and on another trip a few days later we found Wilton spray color for icing, in GOLD! So we frosted in yellow and spray painted gold.

The wings were not too tricky, but it was nice to have our family party as the trial run. 
I bought butterscotch candies and melted them (as I did for the volcano for my son's dino party).

I then drizzled them into a wing-ish shape (I tried following lines drawn on the tinfoil, but it transferred to the wings). The first batch ended up very heavy, and we had a difficult time keeping them in the cake. The second go round I spread them thinner, and it worked much better. (I thought I had taken photos of the wings, but I can't seem to find them)



My kids always want to invite so many kids to their parties, and I always feel bad because I know someone is being excluded. Both of their parties this year we invited more than we usually do (I try to keep it to 8 kids, but this one we invited 12, I think). Anyhow, Miss B. kept thinking of other kids to invite, so we ended up not having enough favors.

We ordered these cute witch broom pens from Oriental Trading.

Somehow our personalization did not come through (It was going to say Nimbus 2000).  I did not have enough time to reorder more fun pens, so we decided to make some of our own!

We were able to find these pencils that looked about the same. I have a ton of raffia stuff, so we used that and some tan yarn (twine might even be cuter).


I lined the metal part of the pencil with hot glue 
and basically placed the raffia around it as best I could. Then we secured it further with the tan yarn. Then I cut the raffia off to make it look broom like. And I cannot believe I do not have a photo of this! (I feel like there is a file hiding somewhere with photos in it!) But they looked really cute, I promise!

Ope, I found an okay photo of one of the pencil brooms in the loot bag. 

Miss B. and I decided we liked them even better than the ones we bought. And they were more durable as well!

This was a super fun party, we got lots of compliments from family members, birthday guests, and the moms as well. It did take a lot of work, but most of it was done for pretty cheap. Some of it was done quickly and with not the best effort, but that is the great thing about kids, they really do think it is all wonderful!


And be sure to check out our other Harry Potter Birthday posts!

Comments