Blue's Clues Birthday Party (2yrs)

My twins turned turned two at the end of December, and I am just now getting this up. Let's just say that life with two two year olds is too too busy! 

Here is a photo of my boys that we put on their invitations. It was extremely difficult to get both to smile and look at the camera at the same time! (You can get my instructions for the Steve shirt here)

I really had fun making their invitations.

This was the front (I found images on google and added a clue to them.)
This was the inside of the folded card


And on the back we had a few stats about each boy. I like doing this when I can (or remember!) because it gives family a little info on things the child likes and clothing sizes, hopefully making gift buying a little easier, and it just looks so cute!


When my oldest turned 2 (over 7 years ago now) she LOVED Blue's Clues. I had been looking on ebay for lots of different Blue's Clues things, and some of them were pretty pricey. One day at a store I found they had all the Blue's Clue's party stuff on clearance. I bought a ton, and then hit every other store they had in the valley and bought more. I sold lots of birthday stuff on ebay, and still had lots left over, so all of my kids have had this theme, and I still have a few random things left. My sister even had some left over's from when her son (now 16) had his Blue's Clues party, that she passed down to me. 

Here are my other two kiddos on their Blue's Clues Birthday day
Miss B wither her "Clue" cake. We always make the clue cake for the day of their birthday (any round cake and cupcakes frosted in blue. I let her help me frost some cupcakes.

And Mr. T. on his first birthday with the smasher cake I made, wearing a Blue's Clues bib (received it as a shower present with my daughter)

I may have mentioned before, my twins were born on Dec 28th, and my older son's birthday is January 3rd. I feel bad asking family to come to two birthday parties so close together, so we always do a big combo boy party. So far no one seems to mind it, but my daughter said this year that she wished her birthday was close to theirs. lol. Anyhow, this was a Blue's Clues/Army Party (I'll get a post up for that party later), so you may see a few things that don't fit. :)
Simple Birthday Banner

I have probably mentioned before (and will mention in the future) that my favorite place to find and brainstorm ideas for birthday parties is at www.Birthdaypartyideas.com. They have a conglomeration of ideas for almost any theme, and you can scroll through them and pick the age that matches your birthday child as well. 

I really do love getting my kids involved in the preparation of any birthday party, their party or their siblings. It gives them pride in their abilities, and also, maybe a little less likely to be jealous of attention given to the birthday sibling(s). So my 9 year old drew our game of Pin the Flag on Mailbox. I bought one of these years ago, but could not find it, so we improvised. We left the flag as just an outline and then I traced the flags onto red construction paper. 

For another game we played "Toss the Clue into Pail". 


I had a red bucket I had saved out months before (you know, when sand toys were actually in season) and of course was unable to find it for the party, so, you guessed it, we improvised. I had an old empty paint bucket that I covered in red construction paper, and Miss B. made Pail's face. We sharpied Shovel's face on. I actually made this game when my daughter was two, but I just used a regular bucket and sewed blue bean bags that I stamped with clues. This newer version definitely turned out cuter. But with kids, you really can go minimal and they will think it is great!

To make the paw print rice bags (I had rice, but no beans, both work just as well), I started with two different colors of blue felt. I free handed a paw print (after looking carefully at many paw prints) and cut them out. I hot glued the paw prints onto the darker felt, folding it to make sure the size was about right.

Then I cut around both layers in a round-ish fashion. So that it now looked like this: I left the bottom edge folded.

The I hot-glued the sides together, leaving an opening to insert the rice.

I used a funnel to fill the bags, it was much less messy that way (though we still had a few spills). And then just hot glued them closed.You don't want to over fill, about 3/4 of the way is just about right.


And for being a simple game, even the older kids played it, and even a few adults took a turn also.
Here is Miss B, with a blur of a clue in action.


For the loot bags we had to have some Handy Dandy Notebooks. I only had a few of those left in my stash, not quite enough for the small party guests, so again, we improvised. I found cheap notebooks at the store, and my daughter drew the thinking chairs onto red craft foam. We added one crayon into each bag (no one minded that it did not look like Steve/Joe's crayon).
 Being that Blue's Clues is not as popular as it once was, it is very difficult to find loot bag items for a good price, so we just went with more of a puppy theme. 
I did have the sticker sheets left over (I found them at the dollar store years ago), but we bought puppy paw print collar/bracelets from Oriental Trading, puppy and kitty finger puppets, and then puppy paw print stampers there also. 

  
 Here are my boys checking out their cake (next year we'll probably have separate cakes, but three cakes (besides the two cakes we had for their actual birthdays... oh so much cake!)
  

 And all three boys being sung to and almost ready to blow out their candles!

I hope these ideas help you in your little one's Blue's Clues Birthday! 

Comments