Stained Glass Butterflies

 
 Thus far it has not been a very warm spring around here, and we were in need of some Spring, so I found a little craft to brighten things up around these parts. :)

I saw a similar project in the Oriental Trading catalog. I love perusing their catalogs, they have great stuff at super prices. I have ordered many things from there, and have been dissatisfied with very little. Anyhow, they have lots of ready made craft kits, and this was one of them. I figured we could make our own, and I think they turned out pretty cute. We had some friends and a cousin over, so six kids in all, from 3-8, and they all enjoyed it.

Supplies needed:
A butterfly template
Construction Paper (The OTC kit comes with foam)
Scissors
Clear Contact Paper
Glitter
Tissue Squares/Pieces (I bought mine from OTC some time ago)

I found a butterfly template online, you don't need anything fancy, because you are just using it for the shape, no need for details. I enlarged it to about 8.5x11 size and printed it out. I'm sure you could even free hand something fairly easy as well. I folded mine in 1/2 (so really you only need to print half).


Fold your construction paper in 1/2 and trace the template onto the paper. I did about 4-5 sheets at once.


Then with your paper folded cut an outline of the butterfly. Be sure to NOT cut on the fold.I did this several times, so each butterfly got smaller. Sometimes they lose a little bit of their shape, but not too much.


Then unfold the butterflies and you will have a menagerie in multiple colors and sizes.


Then cut your contact paper in a rectangle about the size of your butterfly. You will need 2 squares of contact paper, one for each side. Remove the backing from one piece and lay it sticky side up on the table. Adhere your butterfly outline. I let the kids each add a little glitter to their contact paper. Then I let them have the tissue squares to place any where within the butterfly outline.(If you don't have tissue squares, I am sure you could cut up pieces of tissue paper from gift bags, etc)


When finished remove backing from the second piece of contact paper and place over your butterfly. To finish it off, just cut around the edges. Be sure to leave a little outline for the contact paper to seal itself on the edges. The place in the window for all to see!


 

Comments

Post a Comment