More jean recycling

After making the shorts and hair bows, I decided to do some more jean recycling. :) My daughter has had this cute pair of jeans with holes in the knees for some time. I did not want to just cut them off, because they had such cute embroidery on the calves. I decided I would try converting them into a skirt. I found a few tutorials online, all basically the same. This is the one  I followed.


Basically you cut the inner seams out, and sew the legs in.

My tips after completing this project:

Almost all the tutorials said to rip your seams out, and so I did, and it was a lot of work. The tutorial I followed said to not worry about ripping them out, just cut them out because you do not need the seam allowance. I completely agree. I ripped them out, and ended up cutting them some anyhow. So DO NOT waste time ripping the seams out, just cut them.

I like that I got to use the embroidery in the skirt, but it did make it look a bit different than if I had not had to use the outside leg seam.

It is difficult to sew through in some spots. I still need to sew just below the zipper by hand, because it was too thick to even get under my presser foot.

I think leaving the bottom of the skirt to fray looks the cutest. You could sew a hem, but eh, its easier not to!

The jeans I had were a bit stretchy. I don't know if that made them easier or harder to work with, but it still was not a difficult project.


But all in all it was a fun, quick project. When my daughter got home from school she said, "Oh cute!" So it was worth it. Does it look perfect? No, but that gives it more character. Besides, when the skirt is on a body you really cannot see all the flaws. :)

Then I had just a tiny flower from the embroidery, so, of course, I made a bow!


Comments

  1. Cute stuff! I'll have to do that for my boys! Hee hee hee. So glad you have a girl to do this cute stuff with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment