Not so informative commercials

I shared this on my personal blog, but I wanted to share it here also! :)

With the switchover to digital TV we get a few new channels. Qubo is one of them that is great! My kids love it, cartoons at any time of day (not that we watch all day). Many of the cartoons are older ones, or from Canada or the UK. The shows themself are GREAT! The commercials inbetween leave something to be desired. Add in the fact that you see the same commercial probably 6 times in a one hour time period.

I am realizing the kids may be watching too much television.

Yesterday my son told me, "Mommy, did you know if you have Bendaroos you can turn a bottle into a fashion model?!"

As far as I know my four year old has no idea what a fashion model is, but he was sure excited about the possibility. In Bendaroos defense, the kids played with them at a relatives house and they were quite fun!

And then today, while we were walking my daughter to school, my dear son says to me, "Mommy, do we need an Awesome Auger? I was thinking, how does my son know what an auger even is??? I asked him what it was, and my six year old said, "You know, from TV." Aahh, yes, I remember, they have both been telling me how it makes your dirt soft. I've been also trying to explain how things on TV do not always work the same as they show them.

Then my daughter ask, "Do you know what a Topsy Turvy is? I thought she was talking about the "cool" hair thing we saw the other day, Bumpits. (Oh my, their website is bighippiehair!). I asked her, "Is it a hair thing?" and she tells me, excitedly, "No, you can grow your tomatoes upside down!" I told her that one of her grandma's has one! :)

And then there is My Gold Envelope. My daughter saw this one and thought they turned your gold into actual money, and then mailed the money they made back to you. It took a little bit of explaining.

And to further illustrate this point, as I have been making this post and trying to find the names for all these products, I asked the kids, "What the hair thing called?" and "What is the name of the Gold one?" And they could supply each one!

Oh my! I thought it was silly that they had such adult commercials during kid shows, but apprently they know what they are doing. Repetition, repetition, repetition! So how come me always telling them to clean their room and such doesn't work? Maybe I need to get a tape recording of Billy Mays saying, "You too can have a clean room! All it takes is this nifty thing on the end of your arm! It does all the work for you!"

Comments

  1. Did I ever tell you that my Summer could memorize whole hour long infomercials? I would walk in the room and see her reciting the darn things along with the television.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh--that is too, too funny!!! I think kids, like husbands, may have selective hearing. I know my kids only remember the things that they want to remember. Me asking them to do their chores is NOT one of them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment