Games Little People Play

So I am not feeling overly creative and crafty right now. I think my brain is frozen. I did play a few games with Tucker today, so I thought for a few posts I would rate some of the children's games we have, the good, the bad, and the ugly. :)

I love playing games, always have. That is how my weekends at my dad's house were spent, playing games of all sorts. We used to have to go into a separate room to sort our handful of cards and stuff them into our little hands. :)

My advice for buying games: Go used! I love thrift stores. They always have games, and often still have instructions. The instructions will list how many and what pieces are included. I have been known to look through more than a few boxes (because there are always duplicates) and make one complete game. Then you get to try a game at a cheap price, because games get pricy. Yard sales are good too, and if you don't like going used, shop the ads. Most stores tend to run ads around Christmas and Easter time that are sales on games.


#1 Buckaroo. 5/5 Stars!
Photobucket

I like this game and my kids like this game. If we both like it, definitely a winner! This game is not as mindless as candyland or Chutes and Ladders where it is all to chance, and just getting the right count, but it is also easy enough for the littles to win. Basically you have to gingerplay place the pack items onto the mule and if you are not gentle enough or upset the balance he bucks. T laughs hysterically every time he bucks everything off, playing on a hard floor or table is much more fun than carpet, because you can hear everything being thrown. Ha ha! We played this over and over for a good 15-20 minutes. Normal games with my kids sometimes last less than five before they are bored. I think this game is a great way to teach kids to be gentle and careful.

#2 Don't Break the Ice 3/5 Stars
Photobucket
My kids really really love this game. Me, not so much. I do like it better than CandyLand, but the drawback to this game is set-up time. It takes more than a few minutes to squeeze the "icecubes" in there, and it is difficult for little fingers to do. My four year old is almost able to get them all in by himself, but not quite. When the set-up is longer than the actual game playing, I start to get annoyed. :) It is a good cause and effect game though. When I was a kid my grandma had a version of this game that used real icecubes. She just kept them stored in the freezer. It was sooo fun, however I imagine the game would not always last as long as interest allows once they start melting!More reviews to come tomorrow!

Comments

  1. Your new blog is adorable, of course!:0) I totally agree on Don't Break The Ice. I hate the set-up time too! I don't have Buckaroo- I will have to search for it. It looks fun!! Have you checked out www.thepioneerwoman.com? She has a lot of creative ideas on her "homeschooling" section. Thanks for the advice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll check out her website Christine, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment